Good Luck

October 30th, 2020

9 14 structure fireLiberal firefighters do an inspection after working the scene of a structure fire late Monday morning. L&T photo/Elly GrimmELLY GRIMM • Leader & Times


The typical quiet of the neighborhood of South Calhoun Avenue was abruptly interrupted late Monday morning as emergency personnel were called to a fire in that area.

The call came shortly before 11:30 a.m. Monday. 

“The Liberal Fire Department was dispatched to 312 S. Calhoun Ave. for a possible structure fire. The caller reported smoke from the home with a person yelling from inside the residence and possibly trapped,” a release from Liberal Fire Chief Kelly Kirk noted. “While responders were en route to the address additional information received by 911 operators was that a lone female occupant had been removed from the residence by neighbors.  On arrival firefighters found a single-wide mobile home with heavy fire issuing from a front window and attached covered porch.  A transitional attack on the fire was initiated and after a short time firefighters were able to gain entry and complete the extinguishment.  The fire was declared under control at 11:38 a.m. The entire home suffered extensive smoke heat and flame damage.  The female occupant was evaluated by Seward County EMS personnel and was later taken by personal vehicle to Southwest Medical Center for smoke inhalation.  Three pets were also in the home at the time of the fire and managed to escape unharmed.”

como en casa article

The fire is believed to be accidental in nature and is believed to have originated in the kitchen on the stove top, Kirk’s release continued, and  after an overhaul and investigation, all units cleared the scene at 12:58 p.m.

Liberal Fire responded with a total of 13 personnel and two engines.  Also at the scene were the Liberal Police Department, Seward County EMS, Black Hills Energy, Southern Pioneer Electric, Liberal Water Department and American Red Cross.

Log in

Pick your language/Elige su idioma

Holder Auction