ROBERT PIERCE

   • Leader & Times

 

Local fire officials have ruled a fire that caused significant damage to the exterior Saturday afternoon to a residence accidental.

Liberal Fire Marshal Cody Regier issued a press release stating around 4:45 p.m. Saturday, fire units were dispatched to 512 S. Cain Ave. for a report of an unknown type of fire.

“Reports were large flames and large amounts of smoke, but unknown what was on fire,” he said.

Regier said fire units arrived to find a covered porch/patio area fully involved with heavy flames and smoke.

“There were also multiple trees starting to catch fire as well as some wooden fencing,” he said. “The fire was starting to advance into the kitchen of the home, and firefighters were able to knock the bulk of the fire down quickly.”

Regier said it was initially unknown if the occupants were home, so as one crew was working the fire, another crew made an interior search quickly, finding no residents at home at the time of the fire. However, four dogs were found and safely removed from the home.

“The fire was extinguished, and firefighters began checking for any fire extension and finished extinguishing any remaining hot spots,” he said.

Regier said the building suffered significant fire damage on the exterior as well as some interior damage localized to the kitchen area.

“There was also minor smoke damage throughout most of the home,” he said. “The fire is being ruled accidental.”

The Liberal Fire Department responded with 12 personnel, two engines and four utility and chief officer vehicles. Other response agencies assisting with the fire included the Seward County Sheriff’s Office, Liberal/Seward County Emergency Communications Center, Black Hills Energy and Southern Pioneer Electric.

No comments

Pick a language

Sports

Squeaky Clean Weather report

Weather in Ashburn

19th June, 2024 - 18:35
Clear Sky
87°F 83°F min 90°F max
5:44 20:38
Humidity: 47 %
Wind: 10.4 mph South-East
Visibility: 32,808 ft

Kansas News

Kansas Informer